A 58 year old female patient.
The therapeutic approach was done according to the equilibrium method, following the 3 steps.
1 - Determination of the affected meridian:
- After the analysis of the case, it was verified that the affected meridian would be the Gallbladder (VB), being particularly sensitive the zone around the VB3.
2 - Choice of meridians to intervene:
- Using System 1, the Triple Heater meridian (TA) was chosen to intervene in this pathology.
3 - Choice of points:
- Using a direct image, representation of the whole body in the arm, point TA3 was chosen in the right hand.
After placement of the needle the patient immediately registered a reduction of pain, when testing the opening movement of the mouth it was verified that the patient had regained the full range of motion. At the end of the consultation, the patient felt only residual TMJ pain, described by the patient as a sensation of pressure in the area with slight pain in some movements of greater amplitude.
The patient was seen twice a week for 3 weeks and the treatment line described was maintained. There was a complete disappearance of TMJ pain as well as a considerable reduction in the frequency and intensity of headache.
The symptoms of temporomandibular dysfunction most frequently reported are:
- Pain or discomfort on face, TMJ and / or masticatory muscles;
- Headache, ear and neck pain;
- Clinical studies have shown that the cervical spine can be a source of pain or dysfunction in the oro-facial area. Likewise, it is common for patients with ATM dysfunction to present signs and symptoms compatible with cervical pathology;
- Other common symptoms are manifestations of the Otorhinolaryngology forum such as tinnitus, sensation of reduction of hearing and vertigo;
- Pain can come on suddenly or progressively, with fluctuations in frequency and intensity or over months or even years;
- Limitations in mouth opening, blockage, jaw deviation at opening or closing, difficulties in chewing, may also be associated with this dysfunction
Dr. Sérgio Ferreira
Specialist in Traditional Chinese Medicine
Master in MTC - ICBAS UP
Course Acupuncture Balance, Richard Tan.
Member of the World Tung's Acupuncture Association.
Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture Course.
Japanese Acupuncture Course, Kiko Matsumoto style.
Course Acupuncture in Clinical Reality
Disfunção Temporomandibular - Saúde CUF